Subject Matter Expert: Language Interpretation & Communication
Contract varies until project completion
Lexington, NC / Remote work
Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
911 e-Learning is searching for SMEs to contribute their unique perspectives to the design and development of a framework intended to educate healthcare providers on the basics of language interpretation and communication. The goal of the project is to ensure the best possible outcomes in identifying patient needs and to facilitate optimal patient care outcomes for patients who do not speak or understand the English language.
Fluency: SMEs do not need be fluent in a language to apply; we are looking for all levels of language fluency in the following language areas: Spanish, American Sign Language (ASL), Chinese, French. The ability to speak English is the primary concern of the position; those who can speak/sign only a few words and maintain optimal patient care are sufficient to meet the needs of the position as long as they meet the healthcare experience; the goal of this project is not to teach the audience to be fluent in any language, rather to give the framework for adequate communication during healthcare encounters with non-English speaking patients.
Other Considerations: An unbiased opinion on those who live in the United States and do not speak English fluently (or at all) is an important aspect of this project. Those who hold or exhibit any bias to those who speak a language other than English need not apply.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Attend virtual meetings to facilitate the design and development process until project completion.
- Collaborate with other SMEs and 911 e-Learning staff to provide constructive feedback and ideas for design and development as it relates to the subject matter.
- Provide insight and solutions to drive the efficient completion of the design framework and development of the associated product(s).
- Participate in ongoing communication until project completion.
- Utilize various applications and software to ensure consistent communication and feedback by set deadlines.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Experience & Qualifications
- 5+ years working with non-English speaking populations in a healthcare setting and/or English as a second language while working in a healthcare setting.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Highly motivated
- Excellent time-management skills with ability to meet deadlines
- Ability to interact positively with team members, think critically, and provide constructive feedback to facilitate project completion.
- Ability to work independently, leveraging tools such as Microsoft Teams, SharePoint, videoconferencing software (eg, Zoom), and email to effectively collaborate with in-person and/or remote colleagues.
- Strong interpersonal, organizational, analytical, and oral/written communication skills. Must be flexible, responsive, and self-directed, and have strong attention to detail.
- Must be flexible, responsive, and self-directed, and have strong attention to detail.
Desired Experience & Qualifications:
- Recent (within the last year) work in a jurisdiction/medical setting with a high incidence of encounters (once a week minimum) with non-English speaking patients.
- Advanced Education / Degrees in related field (Instructional Design, Education, Graphic Design, Foreign language, Communications, etc.)
- Experience in adult and continuing education/training (continuing medical/healthcare education a plus)
- Experience building asynchronous educational products (online, PowerPoint, etc.)
- EMT, AEMT, or Paramedic (National Registry preferred)
- Emergency Services background (Fire, EMS, Rescue, Law Enforcement, Healthcare field)
- Experience working in Zoom, Trello, Outlook, and Dropbox
- AAS or higher education level preferred
Potential candidates must submit a resume and letter of explanation to be considered. The letter of explanation should describe you and why you are suited for the position.
The following criteria must be met:
- Years of experience
- Specific field/position of experience
- Explanation of position criteria met
- Specific availability (days/times) to meet via videoconference with a group of peers
For immediate consideration, please submit your presentation, resume, and letter of intent to [email protected] with “Subject Matter Expert SCF“ in the subject line of your email.